General Nathanael Greene Bronze Plaque
Cast in 1927 for Brown University by the Gorham Foundry
This plaque had remained on the wall of University Hall since its original dedication in 1927. In 2001, when Brown called us to see the plaque, aged residue from the popular student activity of affixing posters, and the natural aging process, had created an aesthetically unbalanced surface.
Restoration involved removing the remains of grafitti, balancing the bronze’s patina to be consistent with the campus aesthetic, and coating the surface with protective layers of lacquer and wax. As of April, 2013, the patina has aged well and remains stable.